How do I enroll my child in METCO?
- Apply online on this website during the application window (October 2 through December 31) when your child is school-age (meaning they will enter Kindergarten through 10th grade in the following school year)
- Your application must include documents that prove ID and residency and ready your student for enrollment in a partner district.
- Students with complete and verified applications will be eligible to be referred to partner districts, based on the availability of space in each grade in each district. (The order of referral is changing from a Wait List to a lottery over the next two years.)
- Only students who are Boston residents throughout the duration of their schooling are eligible to be placed in METCO.
- No one is guaranteed enrollment in a METCO school.
Who is eligible to apply for METCO?
- Any Boston resident may apply to METCO. Springfield residents should contract the Springfield School Department.
- Students with special needs are welcome, though if existing special education placement determinations call for out-of-district placement, METCO may not be appropriate.
How are students selected to participate in METCO?
- Only students with completed applications are eligible for referral to a partner school district.
- When partner school districts indicate the number of openings in each grade level, METCO forwards the corresponding number of applicants' applications and documentation to the districts. The process for determining the order of referrals is changing over the next two years.
- District partners place students in schools based on the availability of openings in particular grades, with preference given to siblings of current students.
- No special consideration is given to any applicant on the basis of their political affiliation, athletic or other recognized talent, or relationship to a METCO staff member.
- Parents/guardians cannot select which town they enroll in. Placement is final and transfers are not permitted. If a family declines enrollment in the district where the student is placed, they will not be placed in that school year and may re-apply for the following school year.
Will students with special education needs be accommodated in METCO partner schools?
Yes. METCO districts are required to provide a full range of in-district special education services to eligible students. However, if a student has an Individualized Education Program (IEP) that calls for an out-of-district placement, then the METCO district is not obligated to accept that student. In all other cases, however, whether for initial intake into the program or for continuation in the program, school districts must provide in-district special education services and must adhere to special education regulations. Students may only be placed in an out-of-district placement if both the METCO district and the sending district are in agreement that the student needs such a placement. If both districts agree to an out-of-district setting, then the responsibility for the student reverts to the sending district (Boston or Springfield).